The railway line predates the town having been built in 1847 and follows the shore line through part of Colwyn Bay. For it’s time it was a considerable feat of engineering that involved building an embankment from Colwyn Bay to Old Colwyn the spoil for which was hand excavated leaving the large bowl shaped depression now occupied by the Colwyn Bay shopping centre. Two multi arch limestone viaducts were also constructed boldly striding across the roads leading from the sea font to Eiras Park and Old Colwyn. The railway station in central Colwyn Bay is an Edwardian construction that replaced earlier holts at Old Colwyn and one to the west of the present station. The first section of promenade was built in front of the Colwyn Bay Hotel with further stretches being added so that the whole of the sea front is now protected by a wide promenade. The promenade is an important sea defence because the beach is north facing and subject to fierce winter storms making the beach vulnerable to erosion. At the time of writing new sea defence works are proposed and these will hopefully also improve the amenity value of the sea front which is Colwyn Bay’s greatest asset.
The pier stands equidistant between Rhos on Sea and Old Colwyn and was constructed in 1900. It sported a pavilion that attracted prominent entertainers of the day but it burnt down in 1922 to be rebuilt and reopened in 1923. Unfortunately this also burnt down in 1933 and was replaced with the present structure which is now under going restoration.
The beach is swept daily by tides that can range up to 30ft making the tidal range amongst the highest in Wales. At low water large areas of gently shelving golden sands are exposed making it ideal for water based recreational activities. Several areas are blue flag designated bathing beaches but there are also stony beach areas that have their own special interest in that they support a range of intertidal marine life and are important winter feeding grounds for sea birds.